Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer is a disease resulting from abnormal cell growth on the lips, inside the mouth or throat area. Dr Saidi, Dr Jin and Dr Chong are skilled in detecting early signs of oral cancer through a visual and manual examination of the head and neck areas. When there is a high risk for abnormal tissue presence, the VELscope lesion detection device is used.
This scope offers a painless and non-invasive way to screen for abnormal tissues in the mouth and only takes a few minutes. While it cannot diagnose oral cancer, the safe blue light emitted will help detect oral tissue changes, which may be abnormal. These changes may not be apparent to the naked eye until the disease progresses to the surface but can be investigated before further growth using the VELscope.
The Canadian Dental Association recommends the following tips to help prevent oral cancer:
- See your dentist regularly for dental exams and ask about oral cancer screenings.
- Stop using tobacco products – ask your dentist about tools to help you quit.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Limit sun exposure and use U/V protective lip balms.
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Check your mouth regularly for signs or symptoms and report any changes in your mouth to your dentist right away.
Contact Saidi Dental Group About Our Oral Cancer Screening
If you would like to learn more about Oral Cancer or schedule an appointment, give us a call at (604) 539-9374. Be sure to check us out on Facebook or Instagram for our social content.
Read Our Google Reviews