Despite the many advances in dental care, numerous individuals still suffer from tooth loss either due to decay, periodontal disease, or unforeseen injury. For many years, the only effective treatment options available were bridges and dentures.
Fortunately, a dental implant is a highly successful option that completely restores the tooth, from root to crown. Implants provide a solid foundation for replacement teeth that look entirely natural.
Although this is excellent news, you may still be wondering, "Am I a viable candidate for dental implants?" to further answer this question, let's take a more in-depth look on how to help ensure the successful results of dental implants.
Who is Eligible for Dental Implants?
Just about anyone who is in good health and has adequate jawbone density is eligible for dental implant treatment. If you're interested in replacing missing teeth within your smile with dental implants, a suitable candidate should have the following:
- Healthy gum tissue, free of infection or inflammation
- Enough bone to help anchor the implant posts in the jaw-some people who have lost bone in their jaw may still undergo implant therapy, but first, the
- bone must be rebuilt with special procedures.
- Responsible and committed to taking diligent care of their replacement teeth and the gums surrounding them. Daily brushing and flossing, and regular visits to the dentist are essential.
Although most patients are determined to be viable candidates, some patients may not be eligible due to the following:
- Young patients whose jawbone has not fully-developed
- Expectant Mothers
- Heavy smokers-constant smoking can lead to difficulty healing after oral health procedures and reduce the likelihood of successful implant treatment.
- Individuals with chronic systemic diseases such as uncontrolled diabetes, connective-tissue ailments, immune system deficiencies, patients that have undergone chemotherapy, and patients that have treatment for osteoporosis.
Patients that may have a few of these issues may still be a suitable candidate. It all depends on the extent or severity of the conditions.
The first step in the dental implant treatment process is a professional evaluation or your current dental health by your dentist. Your initial consultation typically includes a thorough examination of your teeth and gums as well as your medical and dental history.
Next, specialized X-rays is taken to provide your dental professional with accurate information on the amount of bone in your jaw and its shape. These images also show where the nerves and sinuses are.
You and your dentist will then discuss the dental implant options that are available to you. You and your dental team work together to develop a tailored treatment plan for your needs.
At Saidi Dental Group, Dr Masoud Saidi and his team genuinely enjoy helping patients restore the health, beauty, and function of their smiles. For more information on how dental implants can benefit you, call our Langley, B.C. dental practice today at (604) 539-9374!